About the Financial Management System Project
The Financial Management system’s objective is to develop a shared resource for University departments to bridge system gaps, streamline processes, and allow faculty and senior leadership to understand their financial position better and make informed strategic decisions. Several departments are engaged in on-going collaboration and pooling resources to develop one financial/research management and reporting system that will integrate with current University systems. These departments have achieved consensus on the needs and requirements over multiple aspects of this new system, including:
- Transaction Approval Process
- Procurement Process (in alignment with current University systems)
- Reconciliation Tool & Data Repository
- Reporting (i.e., projections, dashboards)
A proposal to implement the project was submitted and approved by the VP of Research and the Health Sciences CFO. The project also has support from the SVP for Health Sciences, AVP for Research, and the Budgeting and Planning Office. Ten School of Medicine departments are committed to joining or actively using the system, and other departments or units may join in the future. View the full Executive Summary.
Goals and Objectives
What is the Project’s Scope?
- The delivery of an online tool that complements existing university enterprise systems enabling departments to run their businesses in their most efficient manner.
- An effort to consolidate multiple department shadow accounting systems and processes into a single tool aims to move participating groups to agreed-upon best practices and standard operating procedures to facilitate staff training.
- The need for flexible approval routing and funds control to track and approve procurement requests before interaction with University systems. Involving the right people upfront results, with correct, clean transactions that save time for departments and central offices later.
- The ability to conduct a thorough reconciliation using technology to identify and automatically match transactions that clear as expected, so the focus can be on a timely review of variances.
- A beginning solution to meet the needs for interactive reporting and forecasting includes pending transactions not yet captured in university systems.
- The project is not a replacement for existing centralized university systems and processes (i.e., UShop, Research Portal).
Multiple departments came together to begin collaboration on this project in FY 2018. The project began in FY 2019, and on July 1, 2019, the new system was launched. Since the beginning of this project, the system has evolved, bringing more functionality and increasing its value-added incrementally and the development team continues its efforts on the project. Interest and support for this new system have also grown over the course of this project.
Participating Colleges and Departments
Who’s Currently Involved?
|Sponsor Representative||Cynthia Best, Associate Dean, SOM Dean’s Financeemail@example.com|
|Program Manager||Peter Panos, Associate Director, SOM Dean’s Finance||801-213-1147||Peter.firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Program Manager||Jessica Groves, Finance Manager, SOM Dean’s Financeemail@example.com|
|Project Director||Jeremy Uffens, IT Director, UFISfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Product Owner||Rob Owen, Business Analyst Sr., UFISemail@example.com|
|Business Analyst||Mily Iriarte-Ahon, Business Analyst, UFISfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Department / User Representative||Jared Kirby, Department Administrator, Biochemistryemail@example.com|
|Department / User Representative||Marsha Williams, Department Administrator, Pathologyfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Department / User Representative||Susan Krantz, Department Administrator, CCTSemail@example.com|
|Department / User Representative||Neha Kushan, Department Administrator, N&Afirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Department / User Representative||Tammy Willis, Department Administrator, Molecular Medicineemail@example.com|
|Department / User Representative||Jonathan Baranowsky, Department Administrator, Biomedical Informaticsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Department / User Representative||Audra Woolley, Accounting & Finance Director, OB/GYNemail@example.com|
Interested In Joining The discussion?
Please contact Jessica Groves at the information listed above if you’d like more information or want to know how to participate.